2011/05/25

The CPU usage Issue of Visual Studio 2010 on Windows 7 64bit

When I use Visual Studio 2010 editing a XMAL file, the cup usage climbs very high. My notebook equips  a dual core Intel T9400 processor. The Visual Studio 2010 will take about 50% of all cups. Look this picture.

5-25-2011 11-30-05

In the Resource Monitor, we can see the orange line, presents the cup usage of the devenv.exe. When I opened the project, it ate about 50%. And soon it went down, but when the XAML code displayed, it climbed high again.

And the second picture:

5-25-2011 11-37-02

I ran the very simple application and closed it. When Windows system’s focus back to Visual Studio 2010, the cup usage was about 50% for a while. When I captured this picture, it just started went down, we can see this in CPU list. The devenv.exe is 11%.

I tried the same code in my coworker’s Thinkpad W510, quad-core 8 threads. The highest usage is 15%. We should keep it mind that 50% in my 2 threads machine actually equals to 100% cpu usage on a single thread. And when 8 threads machine, 15% equals 100% on a single thread. The different is when Visual Studio 2010 eating my cpu, it is difficult to scroll down or up on the xaml editor. But 8 threads machine can scroll smooth.

I googled for a while. Somebody was reporting this issue on Microsoft bug report. But it seemed there was no official solution. Even I and my coworker have installed Visual Studio 2010 SP1, this issue still exist.

Why I say on “64bit” ? Because I usually develop my application in a VM which is Windows 7 32bit. And installed the same Visual Studio 2010 copy. The application had a more complex xaml structure than what’s on the picture above. But it dose not eat cup too much. So I wonder, this issue is Visual Studio 2010 did not perform well on Windows 7 “64bit” only.

If anyone have any solutions, or any thoughts about this issue. Tell me, please.

2 comments:

sumanth said...

HI
Did you get any solution for this ? Even I face the same problem .

If you have solution , can you please let me know .

- Sumanth

Anonymous said...

People go to other OS because of Microsoft's unreliable upgrades. Doesn't Microsoft makes enough money on all preloaded computers? Then why they have to make another ideosyncratic software. Apple also changes their core OS system, but they never make user interaction different than their previous releases.